Friday, March 7, 2014

One of those days

You know when you have one of those days? The days when, before your feet even hit the ground, the little voice inside says "THIS one is gonna be a bitch!"
I'm having one of those days today.  Not that I didn't wanna get out of bed because of it, I mean I've come to the point in my life that no matter what happens, everything will turn out for the best.  That realization came to me after many, many years of suffering and chaos, most of it self-inflicted too.  I guess you could say I'm hard-headed or stubborn- I'll blame that on my Mediterranean blood coupled with being raised by an Italian step-father.  [I haven't quite overcome the finger-pointing yet, as you can see]
But as I mentioned before, I'm certainly not perfect.  I still have days [like today for instance] that the committee in my head gets the better of me. And I have to work really hard to put a smile on my face and trudge through it.  On days like this, I try to remind myself that everything is temporary and I usually find out that I'm stronger than I thought I was.  Sometimes I have to take a bat to the speaker so its message is all garbled....... like the schoolteacher in a Charlie Brown special. Other days, I find it much easier to ignore the negative self-talk I hear. [I like those days best :-)] Some days, its as easy as reminding myself to breathe thru it but on other days, no amount of breathing could make me feel any better.
Somehow, even on those really crappy days when I hear a million opinions at the same time and my breathing makes me reach for a paper bag, i know that if I REALLY pay attention and dig deep, I can get through it.  It might be uncomfortable, it might even become painful and I'm certainly NOT going to like it.....but I will probably grow and learn from it. As long as I'm willing to put in the work.


So, here's a question: what do you do to get through tough days?
"Women are like tea bags. We don't know our own strength until we are in hot water."
~Eleanor Roosevelt








No comments:

Post a Comment

Although we probably havent already met, I would like you to know I sincerely appreciate your interest in my blog. Apart from extraordinarily strange circumstances, I will do my best to respond to your comment, question or concern within 24 hours. Best Regards, Serafina